Arm wrestling is one of the few sports that puts extreme stress on the humerus bone. Very few sports and activities cause this to happen. I decided to chose arm wrestling because it is an activity that many people participate in and something I enjoy as well. I use arm wrestling as a way for my family and friends to determine who is stronger, and sometimes smarter, than the other.
Composition of ...
Many factors play into arm wrestling:
- Skeletal muscle is the muscle that is connected directly to the bone.
- Sacromela- is the membrane surrounding the muscle fiber
- transverse tubules- part of the sarcoplasmic reticulum that releases and stores calcium
during contraction and relaxation.
- Myoneural junction- where motor nerve endings terminate on the sarcolemma
- Motor end plate- structure at myoneural junction that forms a small mound on the
surface of a muscle fiber.
- Sarcoplasm- cytoplasm of muscle fibers
- Nuclei- “brain” of the cell, Muscle fibers contain many of these
- Myofibrils- long and thin cylindrical rods that run parallel to muscle fibers
- Myofilaments- made up of thin and thick filaments, thick comprised of myosin, thin
ones comprised of actin, troponin, and tropomyosin.
- Z-disk ultrastructure- comprised of Z-filaments; connects sarcomeres.
- Proteins of the myofilaments- mostly actin and myosin (65%). also includes troponin
tropomyosin in the filaments. (C proteins that surrounds myosin filaments from thick
filaments), desmin (which encircles the Z-disks and radiate out to connect nearby
All of these allow ATP Hydrolysis to take place and cause the muscles to work.
Main Chemicals, Compounds, Components
ATP Hydrolysis (Muscle Contraction) is the most important factor for arm wrestling because it is the basis of all muscle contraction in the body. Without it, nobody could arm wrestle, none the less do anything.
Furthermore, because arm wrestling is stressful on bones, it is important to note that strong and healthy bones are key to arm wrestling and allowing the participant to avoid injury.Bone is made made up of collagen, a protein that is weaves into a flexible framework. Bone also contains calcium phosphate and calcium carbonate, minerals that are used to strengthen and harden the framework. The combination of calcium and collagen gives bone its strength and increased flexibility. The flexibility (or ability to withstand stress) of the bone protects it from breaking or fracturing. Bones are strong due to calcium, but bones also acts like a warehouse for calcium. More than 99% of the body's calcium is contained in the bones and teeth. The remaining 1% is in the contained in the blood in the body.
ATP + H2O <=> ADP + inorganic phosphate (Pi)
It is very common for diagonal breaks in the humerus bone to occur in arm wrestling due to the fact that people cause extreme stress on that particular bone and the position that they put their arm in. When arm wrestling the player must ALWAYS keep their shoulder in line or behind the arm. Referees in professional matches will stop the athletes from arm wrestling if the shoulder is out of line. Arm strength, stability, and technique are key in arm wrestling.
- Arm wrestling background
- Technique of arm wrestling in order to win
- How muscles need oxygen when working and how it affects the body
- How to deal with injuries common in arm wrestling
-More information about Tendonitis
- Information about inflammation
- Chemical process of ATP Hydrolysis
- Structural information regarding the muscle
- ATP Hydrolysis formula and information
About the Author