The Chemistry of Emergen-C
On a daily bases, do you take a pill for every vitamin your body needs to stay healthy? Well if you do or don’t we have a solution. It’s a great fizzy drink called “Emergen-C” made by Alacer Corp. Did I say it comes in all different flavors? The flavors include raspberry, tangerine, acai berry, pink lemonade and much more. Emergen-C has 1,000mg of Vitamin C, it's also filled with 24 Nutrients with 7 B Vitamins, antioxidants and electrolytes. My favorite kind is Super Orange. I am a very busy girl there is no time for me to get sick. This supplement with a well balanced diet has given me enough nutrients I need to stay healthy and still do all my activities.
Composition of ...
-Main Ingredients have * in front.
- Antioxidants help protect cells from cancer and other viruses.
- Vitamin C helps maintain a healthy immune system,, supports collagen, and has a protein in it to help our skin.
- Zinc sustains white blood cell activity, also provides antioxidant protection.
- Manganese promotes healthy skin, bone, and cartilage formation.
- B1 (Thiamin) boost energy, breaks down carbs for metabolism and a normal nervous system.
- B2 (Riboflavin) breaks down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Used for energy and repair of the body.
- B3 (Niacin) produces energy and builds fatty acids and hormones.
- B6 the body does not make this nutrient.
- B9 (Folic Acid) has healthy effects on body working with enzymes. Maintain amino acid in the blood.
- B5 (Pantothenic Acid) used in body to generate energy from fat, carbs, and proteins.
- Electrolytes help stay hydrated and support energy production. Lose this when sweating.
- Calcium and Magnesium backing hydration and muscle function.
- Sodium like above also supports blood pH.
- Potassium important for functioning body.
Main Chemicals, Compounds, Components
- (C6H8O6) or Ascorbic Acid.
- Vitamin C enables the body to efficiently use carbohydrates, fats, and protein.
- The body does not store Vitamin C.
- Vitamin C is a cofactor in at least eight enzymatic reactions. Also, Vitamin C is the formation of collagen which is produced by special ribosomes in cells. During the process of the collagen formation the body must manufacture hydroxyproline (amino acid proline). Without the Vitamin C for this process the body will become very weak.
- When the body does not receive enough Vitamin C this causes the collagen synthesis to have a reaction and cause severe symptoms of scurvy.
- Vitamin C in the body acts an antioxidant, helping to protect cells from the damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals are compounds formed when our bodies convert the food we eat into energy.
- Potassium is soft silvery-white reactive metal.
- A mineral that helps your muscles contract, helps regulate fluids and mineral balance in and out of body cells and helps maintain blood pressure by blunting the effect of sodium.
- Deficiencies of potassium are increased risk of hypertension, kidney stones, osteoporosis, and stroke.
It may have been hard to find but Chemistry has a very important role in the composition of Emergen-C. Most of the ingredients in this mixture are straight from the periodic table! Also, they each have their own molecular formula. All the ingredients are combined into one to make the fizzy drink of Emergen-C. Vitamin C is not stored in our body. We must get this vitamin other ways as in the foods we eat. The Chemistry role that Vitamin C plays in our body is that Vitamin C is a cofactor in a least eight enzymatic reactions. It is the formation of the collagen which is produced by special ribosomes in cells. During the process, of the formation the body must make hydroxyproline an amino acid proline. Hydroxyproline’ molecular formula is C5H9NO3. Without Vitamin C for the collagen process the body will become very sick and this is when the disease scurvy with start to occur. This reason being that Vitamin-C is most abundant ingredient in this product to supply our body with the right amount of Vitamin C needed.
In 1978, Alacer Corps introduced Emergen-C the “champagne of nutritional drinks.” The fizzy drink mix featured 1000mg of vitamin C, B vitamins and electrolytes, which became Alacer’s signature formulation. Emergen-C is a tasty drink that only takes seconds to mix with water. Emergen-C products are either manufactured in Foothill Ranch, CA or Carlisle, PA facilities. Alacer’s mission is to build on it's legacy of innovation by providing the world with nutritionally enhanced products that support an energetic, healthy lifestyle.
Definitions on every Vitamin/Nutrient/Antioxidant and it's purpose of being in Emergen-C
Food Label: http://www.emergenc.com/products#original-formula.super-orange
Other Ingredients : Fructose, citric acid, natural orange flavors, malic acid, orange juice powder, , tapioca, maltodextrin, silica, beta carotene, glycine, aspartic acid, tartaric acid, and cysteine hydrochloride.
Background info on Emergen-C
Emergen-C is a powdered drink mix vitamin supplement made by Alacer Corp
It includes many vitamins in a small dose instead of taking each vitaman individually
How to take Emergen-C and what is it.
Vitamin C info
Vitamin C molecular structure
About the Author
Jordyn Wagner is a junior at Billings Senior High School. Some of her activities involve showing cattle, playing basketball, and soccer. She enjoys spending time with family and friends. Jordyn is very outgoing! She also is a stressed out freak. She hopes to go to college for elementary education. Jordyn loves spending her time with children. Someday she would like to get married, raise a family, and live on a big ranch a little ways out of the city of Billings.