The Chemistry of Facial Masks


  • Face masks are the perfect skin care treatment to help you with your skin care concerns. The right face mask can help hydrate skin, remove excess oils and help improve the appearance of your pores. They're also an excellent way to help pull out impurities. I chose this topic because I enjoy using face masks. After long days, I use masks to freshen up my skin and to help me relax. I was interested in learning about how face masks increase the condition of the skin.Composition of ...
    • Honey
      • Water: H2O
      • Fructose and Glucose: C6H12O6
    • Lemons
      • Citric acid: C6H8O7
    • Oats
      • Manganese: Mn
      • Protein
      • Vitamin B1: C12H17N4OS
      • Starch C6H10O5
    • Egg whites:
      • Water: H2O
      • Protein
    • Lavender Oil:
      • Linalyl Acetate: C12H20O2
      • A-pinene: C10H16
      • Limonene: C10H16
    • Aloe Vera
      • Water: H2O
      • Vitamin C: C6H8O6
      • Calcium: Ca
      • Glucose: C6H12O6
    • Bentonite Clay:
      • Al2O34SiO2H2O

Main Chemicals, Compounds, Components

Honey: (Water (H2O), Fructose and Glucose (C6H12O6))

Honey is composed of at least 181 components. Honey is composed mostly of the sugars glucose and fructose. It is a supersaturated solution. Because of its supersaturation and low water content (15-18%), honey is viscous. That means it is rather thick in consistency and sometimes it’s solid. Honey is naturally antibacterial, so it's great for acne treatment and prevention. It is also full of antioxidants, it is great for slowing down aging.

Aloe Vera: (Water: (H2O). Vitamin C (C6H8O6), Calcium (Ca), Glucose (C6H12O6))

Aloe Vera is composed of over 150 nutritional ingredients. Aloe vera is effective in healing wounds, aiding digestion and boosting overall immunity and health. 99% of the Aloe vera plant is composed of water, with the remaining 1% being solid material filled with over 75 active vitamins and minerals. It is grown in semi-arid to arid climates and is able to sustain warm conditions because it maintains large amounts of water. With anti-inflammatory and cooling properties, Aloe Vera gel is often used on sunburned skin.

Chemistry's Role

Honey: Honey gets its start as flower nectar, which is collected by bees, naturally broken down into simple sugars and stored in honeycombs. Honey bees don’t just gather the nectar, they change the nectar chemically. They produce an enzyme called invertase in their salivary glands After the nectar is gathered by the bee, invertase is added. This enzyme helps change sucrose into equal parts glucose and fructose. This process is the beginning of honey. Honey is not man made and is only guided by man. The chemists in the production of honey are the bees.

Aloe Vera:

Aloe Vera is a natural product. Aloe vera contains 75 potentially active constituents: vitamins, enzymes, minerals, sugars, lignin, saponins, salicylic acids and amino acids. Aloe vera plants have three identifiable parts. The thick, outer rind consists of up to 18 layers of cells that are filled with phytochemicals and chloroplasts that synthesize the carbohydrates, fats and proteins.

The outer leaf pulp, a thin, mucilage layer between the rind and gel, consists of vascular bundles. Vascular bundles act as the transporting system for the plant. The inner leaf pulp makes up the Aloe vera gel. The gel has been used to treat burns and wounds. It is this part of the plant that boasts a high content of water and minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium.

Background Research

Facial masks are used to refresh and treat all skin types (oily, dry, normal). All facial masks are made up of different ingredients for different purposes. Purposes include tightening and toning, hydrating, nourishing, drawing out impurities, helping blemishes heal, calming and soothing, and rejuvenating the skin. They are used for general skin health as well as for specific skin conditions. Some masks are designed to dry or solidify on the face, almost like plaster; others just remain wet.


Composition of glucose and fructose

Composition of lemons

Composition of egg whites

Composition of lavender

Composition of oats

Aloe vera

Composition formulas for elements

The chemistry of honey

Honey’s benefits for skin

Chemical composition of Aloe vera

How Aloe vera is made

The uses for facial masks

About the Author

Avra Birkeland is a junior at Billings Senior High School. She enjoys photography and hanging out with her family and friends. After graduation, she plans on going to college and majoring in Nursing.